Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Names

Names are a large part of our culture. So far my hardest task with the creation of this blog was thinking of the name for the blog. I had a few ideas such as "Dark Phoenix, Kat Von D & Lesser Known Things about Me" and "What to Call this?" but settled for the more generic "Missy's Blog" to encompass all future posts.

Growing up, I was always Melissa. I remember in elementary school a teacher once scolded me for not answering to Missy. My response to the teacher was simple, that was not my name my name was Melissa. In high school I had many nicknames from friends and teachers, but I still always introduce myself as Melissa but am called Missy sometimes.

A little over a year ago I got married and discovered another name issue, what to do with my last name. I was no longer in my twenties when I got married so I have established a history with my last name. However, more important to me is my family history. My grandfather died when I was a little over a year old and I had always heard a story that he carried me around as a baby saying I was his boy that would carry on the family name. I am the youngest granddaughter out of eight grandchildren, all granddaughters. Since there are no males that could technically carry on the family name I wanted to keep my maiden name for my grandfather and this story that I've heard. I'm glad I decided to do this but have discovered it can be difficult because people do not understand that I am giving them my last name and think I am giving them a first and last name. Eventually, my husband and I will need to decide if we have children what their last name will be but that is for the future.

3 comments:

Macrina said...

What a touching reason for retaining your maiden name, Melissa. Thanks for sharing and for getting your blog up and running. I look forward to more posts!

Maria said...

I did not realize that! I'm glad you kept your name. Thanks for sharing.
I like your blog name too...that's how I knew it was you.

kkbookmom said...

Oh wow, what a cool (and sweet) reason to keep your birth name. :-)