Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Let's deconstruct some myths

Okay I would like to start deconstructing some myths. This was brought about by one thing but it might become a series.

If you follow me on Twitter you might have read that I started back to my dance class lately. I've never hidden the fact that I did belly dancing before but besides that, I have just said I take dance classes for a workout and it is just dance.

So, let me lead me up to what gave me the idea for my need to write this blog since I don't write that often.

I arrived at the dance studio tonight
Dolphin Dance. Kristen had news about a former fellow student who moved to Washington state. Emily is being threatened by one person complaining and wanting to shut down her studio in Washington state because this one person does not think it is appropriate for the small town in which she lives.

You see the part I've left out and have kept very sheltered for a few years is Dolphin Dance teaches pole dancing and exotic dance for women. Yes, that means I know how to pole dance and up until now there were only two people that knew it.

I decided that after watching the news story from
King 5 out of Seattle that I need to let this fact be known because of the stereotypes that people have about this form of dance and exercise that are not true. The longer I keep it hidden the more I'm doing to help perpetuate the myth.

Pole dancing in this environment is very liberating and builds great self-esteem for women. I have gained so much self confidence by doing these classes. I'm not a workout fan but any means but I look so forward to going dolphin dance truly makes working out fun. My core gets a great workout, my legs get firmed up and most of all my arms. It takes a lot of upper body strength to be able to pull yourself up and hang there or, my favorite, spin around. As an added bonus, my wonderful husband thinks it is ironic and funny that his wife who wouldn't let him have a 'traditional' bachelor party takes pole dancing.

So, I'm starting this as my small part in helping to deconstruct this myth. If you have questions leave me comments.

Ideas for future installations in this series I'm still working on, but you can leave comments for any of those as well.

3 comments:

KT said...

Thank you Melissa! It is a brave thing to do to come out of the pole closet!! : ) I cannot tell you how much it means to me that you are actively taking steps to help the pole dance community.

hugs,
Kristen

Cat Herself said...

I think it's great! I have some belly dancing tapes that I've worked out with at home. It's fun, but a bit repetitive and boring at the beginning. It's great, though, for building confidence. I bet you have a great time at the classes!

Netter said...

There are a group of women at my office that all go to pole dancing classes. They are very upfront about it. (And no, they don't fit the stereotype of who you would think would pole dance.) They are always sharing with us what a good workout it is and how much fun they have. I wonder if they go to Dolphin Dance? I'll have to ask them this week. If it feels good, do it!